Thursday, August 11, 2011

Jim Gaffigan in the Kitchen


Have you ever heard Jim Gaffigan's bit about Hot Pockets? It's hilarious and of course, every time I utter the words, probably only while in conversation with Jake, I find myself reciting them in an off key warble.

Last summer Jake ate (not had - watch the video) his first Hot Pocket at a friend's house. To say the least, I was mortified - have you ever read the label? I told him then and there I could make a better Hot Pocket. A homemade Hot Pocket.

I've made them a few times in the past. Lately I've begun to feel nest-y and frugal since school is starting. Making a bunch of them for future lunches seemed a good thing to do.


I admit to using purchased pie dough. It was around for experimental reasons. (seriously) If I don't make it (usually just for work), I buy it at Trader Joe's. It's really pretty good and made with all butter.


You can roll them into rounds, cut them into squares or use a nifty hand pie mold from my favorite kitchen equipment store. I baked an inexpensive ham slice and cut it into pieces then tossed it with cheddar and Swiss cheeses. My original intention was to saute some green onions but - I forgot.


Run a damp finger around the edge of the bottom crust before draping the filling with the top crust.


This helps prevent gooey cheese leaks, too.


A neat little pocket, pie or pasty.


Press the edges with a fork.


Vent it so the top doesn't blow.


This is definitely a time to use the silpat for easy clean up.



It's probably not a good idea to put them in the oven straight away. I let them firm up in the fridge a bit first. I made a whole bunch of them and froze them thinking once school has started, I can bake them off and send them in lunch boxes.


They are Henry Approved.

A few things. No, I didn't make the crust, and yes, I forgot to add "aromatics" and I could have spent more time putting them together and added a nice glaze to ensure a super golden brown crust perfect for photography.

But really, they are just Hot Pockets.

At least they won't be cooked in a dirty microwave.

Watch the video.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I've had lean pockets in our freezer from time to time. However, as I've started to really read ingredient labels this recipe sounds SO much better!

Anonymous said...

He is one of my fave comedians!! Love his bacon stint, too. " it's frozen in the middle. Or it can come lava hot."
Lesly

Jennifer said...

@ Lesley - I knew you'd get it. :)

Anonymous said...

When you send them as lunches, do they get re-heated? My husband loves taking Hot Pockets for lunch but I hate sending them because they seem sooo unhealthy. This would be a terrific alternative! He has a fridge and microwave at work.

Jennifer said...

@ Anonymous -Usually I will bake them off in the morning and send them in lunch boxes room temperature. If you baked them off the night before, refrigerate overnight and send them room in lunch room temperature they would be delicious, too. If your husband wanted to warm them he could certainly do so. I like them room temperature myself and they are certainly safe for a short period of time. Enjoy!