Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Day at the Green City Market

I took three of my favorite cooking class ladies and my new friend, Shelley, to the Green City Market yesterday. We had a great adventure in local food, attended a demo and enjoyed our short trip to the city on a gorgeous day.

Many of my favorite growers were there. River Valley with the freshest mushrooms you'll ever see. Doug and I credit them for our love of grilled portobellas.

Three Sisters with the best black beans I've ever tasted. They are so fresh they don't need to pre-soak. The first time I bought them I made a great recipe out of Blue Eggs and Yellow Tomatoes by Jeanne Kelly and served them with a pork shoulder that Doug smoked. The whole family loved them and it's a recipe I'll go back to again. I have a pound in the cabinet just in case the mood strikes and I can't make it to the market.

In my dreams my artisan loaves look just like these...


At a green market, even the end-of-season apples call you to take them home.


I wonder what the outdoor market will surprise me with in May?

Black Beans with Orange and Chipolte
from Blue Eggs and Yellow Tomatoes
by Jeanne Kelley

1/4 cup bacon fat or olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1# dry black beans, rinsed
3 bay leaves, preferably fresh
1) 2" curl orange zest (3/4" to 1" thick)
1teaspoon minced canned chipolte chile in adobo
salt
Heat the bacon fat in a heavy, medium-sized Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and saute until tender, about 8 minutes.

Stir the beans and the add 8 cups water, the bay leaves, and orange zest. Bring the beans to a simmer. Skim any foam from the top of the beans. Partially cover the pot and gently simmer the beans over low heat until they are very tender, stirring frequently, about 1 1/2 hours.
Stir in the chipotle chile and season with salt.

Uncover and simmer until creamy, about 15-20 minutes.

*Can be prepared 3 days ahead and refrigerated or frozen for up to 1 month

No comments: