Thursday, September 17, 2009

My Zucchini Prejudice

Every year at this time, I realize I have ignored the humble zucchini. While my prejudice is probably unfair, I do believe that my explanations are reasonable.

#1 - It takes up a lot of garden space so I don't grow it.
#2 - It makes a lovely gratin, with or without tomatoes, but I don't really want to eat them.
#3 - It's good on the grill but not a favorite around our table.

All very reasonable explanations, right?

Then I stumble across a recipe, incorporating lemon and zucchini into a COOKIE. I am intrigued. I love zucchini in bread but a cookie, interesting. Darn it if Martha doesn't think of everything. Off to the market in search of a zucchini. Just one.

Did I mention that this recipe has cornmeal in it? I love cornmeal anything. In a COOKIE, a subtle cornmeal crunch? I've got to have one. Just one.


Easy to put together. No need to lug the kitchen aid or find the beaters for the hand mixer. This can be made by hand.

And good. So very, very good. Cakey, lemony, not too sweet. Wouldn't they be pretty with a dusting of powdered sugar? I'd would even eat one with breakfast.

Tomorrow, I will return to the market in search of more zucchini. I will make them again and I will probably eat more than just one.

Lemon-Zucchini Cornmeal Cookies
Everyday Food - September 2009

1 stick unsalted butter, at room temp
1 c. powdered sugar
1/2 vanilla extract
1 t. packed, finely grated lemon zest
1 t. coarse salt
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. fine cornmeal
1 medium zucchini, finely grated (about 1 cup)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In large bowl, mix butter and sugar with a wooden spoon until pale and fluffy. Stir in vanilla, lemon zest and salt. Add flour and cornmeal and mix until mixture is crumbly. Add zucchini and stir into a thick dough.

Drop by rounded tablespoons onto parchment lined baking sheets. Bake until edges are lightly browned, about 25-30 minutes. Rotate sheets halfway through baking time. Cool completely on a wire rack then have one, just one.

1 comment:

Georgine said...

your photos and your cookies look so good. I would have never thought to out zucchini in a cookie. I haven't made zucchini bread this season either, 'cause, you know, I would just eat it. But these cookies look like I need to eat them!