Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Tarragon Pesto for Fish sans Whining

Last week at the market I picked up the most beautiful bunch of tarragon. More of a bouquet than a bunch, it was in a jar on the dining table until I decided I should actually do something culinary with it.




I decided on Tarragon Pesto. The thought of adding it to my eggs or roasting chicken or topping grilled fish is delicious. To have this fresh ingredient at my finger tips for a future fast meal is comforting.

Leaves of tarragon.


Leaves of spinach.


Cloves of Garlic. Smashed.


Pesto recipes usually call for some sort of nut - pine nuts, pistachios, walnuts or even almonds. I used walnuts.

 

And then olive oil. Since I may end up freezing this, I chose not add the cheese quite yet.



For all intents and purposes - Taaa-Daa - it's pesto!





Pesto is a great way to put off what you can't cook today and can be made out of virtually any herb. I like to put it into 1/4 cup Ball jars and freeze it. For now this jar is living in the fridge but soon, but I hope soon it will grace some grilled fish.

All but one of the children will be out of town so the whining over fish should be minimal. Bonus

Tarragon Pesto

1/4 cup packed fresh tarragon leaves
1/2 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
1 1/4 cup packed fresh spinach leaves
2 T. walnuts
2 large cloves garlic, smashed
3 T. olive oil
2 T. Parmesan cheese

In the bowl of a food processor or blender, place the tarragon, parsley, spinach, nuts and garlic. Pulse until finely minced. Add the oil and cheese, and blend again until smooth.

Store in a container with a tightly fitting lid.

This may be frozen for future use. Defrost before using.

Makes about 3/4 cup



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks so green and fresh!

I should really put my food processor to work making me some of that!

Thanks for the recipe! :)