Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Something Old Is New

One of the best parts of my job at Williams-Sonoma is getting to test new products as soon as they arrive at the store. One of the worst parts of my job at Williams-Sonoma is having to test new products as soon as they arrive at the store. I hate reading directions. If I have to read directions I don't want to do it. For work, Doug reads the directions and shows me how it works. Lucky, right?

Recently the I was able to experiment with the new Polyscience Professiona Sous Vide. You see them all over the television. A Top Chef/Iron Chef kitchen staple. I must admit I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to use. I read the book included by Thomas Keller and felt well prepared. It was fun but not really something I see myself using in my kitchen stadium.

The other part of sous vide is the sealing of the food. Here is where the trouble began. You see, my parents gave me a Food Saver years ago and I had never used it. It seemed too complicated to even have anyone explain it to me. If a basic Food Sealer throws me what are the chances a Caso Vacuum Food Sealer would be in my realm of possibility? Of course, the sous vide class necessitated my learning. Thanks to Doug, it was a breeze. What does this say about me I wonder? Not the sharpest knife in the block?



I felt so empowered after mastering the super cool model from W-S, that will seal liquid, I felt fully prepared to learn to use the lonely, untouched Food Saver in my make-shift pantry.

Peaches, tomatoes, rhubarb, corn, pre-soaked white beans and a loaf of polenta is all I can say.

What can I seal next?

1 comment:

Additionsstyle said...

I always wanted one of those!