Monday, May 11, 2009

Homemade Calzones

The Shackleford kids came over on Saturday night. I thought it would be the perfect time to make calzones. Something different than pizza. Rather than make at least 9 small ones, I made 4 large ones.
I made two filling bases and changed up a few of the ingredients in each. This is ricotta, spinach, sauteed pepper and onion with hot Italian sausage.

I anticipated this to be the kids' favorite. Ricotta, Jamie Oliver's tomato sauce, pepperoni, oregano and mozzarella.

Roll out the dough into an 8-10" circle and pile the filling onto one side.

Fold the dough into a half moon, dampen the edges with water then fold and seal. Let them rise a bit before putting them into the oven.

The finished product. Unfortunately, they weren't a real hit with the kids but what's important is that regardless of what they ate, the kids had a really fun night.

And I thought I was pretty cool to make calzones.

No comments: