Friday, June 3, 2011

Now Where Did I Put That List.....


What seems like many moons ago, I started a life list. I had just turned 40. Little Henry was in school full time and I felt at loose ends. As often happens with my best intentions it sort of ended there. I tend not to be a dreamer and my desires are pretty basic.

Over time, I've thought of things to add to my life list but never actually done it though I've written about them in this journal of sorts. Have you ever had a big "to-do" list and added things you've already accomplished just so you can scratch them off? If you are a list maker - fess up - you've done it before. That seems really lame, bordering on cheating when talking about life list.

I've decided I'm not above cheating. The clock keeps ticking....


I have started writing. It's something I've always wanted to do and had just never DONE IT. I now set aside snippets of time to pursue this interest. It usually only lasts until the family finds me and has a sudden need to be with me. Of course, if the computer wasn't in my lap no one would care where I was. Anyway, I've had a few essays posted on Go West Young Mom, a sight dedicated to keeping moms in the western suburbs in the loop. It's a thrill for me. I've enrolled in a creative writing course. The life list thing? I'd love to have a piece published in something made of paper. Cyberspace is flattering but I am a book and paper girl. We'll see what happens. Fingers crossed.



I have an incredible appetite for reading - especially personal non-fiction. Courageous farmers and those brave enough to drop it all to go live in the south of France are favorites. After a particularly intense bout of reading all things Tuscan. I decided someday I'd like to visit its terraces and olive trees. Guess what? An opportunity arose and I am! Doug and I are traveling to Tuscany in September and while there will enjoy cooking classes and the Chianti Festival. We are staying on an amazing estate. I am purely giddy.

On a rather pathetic note, I've decided to add the Dane County Farmer's Market in Madison to my life list. You may laugh, but as many times as I've made plans to get to this mecca market, only to have them fall through, it deserves a spot. I'll probably get to Italy before I get to Wisconsin. Why?

Here is the updated list in no particular order:

#1 Go to France
#2 Knit a blanket for Project Linus
#3 Learn the Thriller dance (seriously)
#4 Take a cheese making course on an idyllic farm
#5 Run a half marathon (btw, this is not going well)
#6 Attend a farm dinner at sunset
#7 Raise goats
#8 Keep chickens
#9 Get something published - on paper.
#10 Go to Tuscany
#11 Get to the Dane County Farmer's Market
#12 Make croissants from scratch

Okay, I said I am not a dreamer but I am an optimist and maybe this will be the summer of......

No comments: