Monday, May 16, 2011

No Thought Strawberry Cake


I think in everyone's recipe cache there should be a little baked something you don't even have to think about when you put it together. I have a few to follow the seasons. Yesterday, I baked a strawberry one. Good for dessert, better for breakfast.

Core and slice the berries....


That Jane. She is such a hoot. So nice to talk to her. I better starting thinking about what I'll send with the kids on vacation. That would be stupid, it's like 2 months away.

Where was I? Creaming butter. I am so glad I got this mixer. What a deal. Maybe I should have bought two. What would I do with two? The Kitchen-Aid is great but it's really...Oh, that high pitched hum. Reminds me of home. It meant there would be cake. German Chocolate Cake. I wonder what makes cream cheese so good. I probably don't want to know. I should try to make some.


Forgot to start the laundry. I feel guilty. Doug did most of it -what's left is my job and it's...oh, crap...12:30pm. I should really pick up that taco project. Memorial Day would be good. What else do I have to do for that... Where is June? What time do I have to put the chicken on the stove? If it takes 3 hours and they eat at....3 o'clock - that'll work.

Don't over mix....


Where did I put my black jacket? Could I wear the white one? I need to put something on underneath it that doesn't make me look like a toad. If I go to the chicken meeting with a chef's coat on I'll look stupid. Ooops. I was gonna take a snap before I blobbed the rest of batter on. Oh, well.


Sprinkle brown sugar on the top. Need to buy more brown sugar.

Into the oven. Don't forget - set the timer. Have to email my invoice to Dana.


&(^%! Forgot to set the timer. Okay, now what - laundry - I'll put it away before I have to turn the cake..... Laundry away, room straightened. Make bed after cleaning bathroom. God, I need a backhoe to clean out Hen and Max's room. Just close the door. Timer is beeping. 40 minutes 22 for 18. Do the dishes. Wipe the counters.

Timer.



Look there's a cake!

Told you it was a cake you didn't have to think about.

I hope your cake works out just like this one but I hope your mind doesn't work just like mine.

For your sake.

Strawberry Coffee Cake
From Coffee Cakes by Lou Siebert Pappas

8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
8 T. unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/ milk
2 large eggs
1 t. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/ t. salt
3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
1/ cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped almonds or walnuts (I skipped them)

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9x13 baking pan.

In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, butter, and granulated, and beat with a wooden spoon or a mixer until light and fluffy. Stir in the milk, eggs, and vanilla and beat thoroughly. IN a medium bow, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to blend. Add to the cheese mixture and beat until smooth. Spread half the batter in the prepared pan. Scatter the berries evenly over the batter. Dot with remaining batter over the berries. Mix the brown sugar and nuts together and sprinkle evenly over the batter.
Bake for 0 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a cake tester inserted comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature, cut into squares.

Makes 1) 9x13 cake; serves 12

No comments: