Saturday, July 11, 2009

I Love Bake Sales

Max's Boy Scout Troop had their 16th Annual Brat and Corn Boil and part of the festivities included a bake sale. Always a pushover for a bake sale - I must admit I was very excited. These Brownie Cookies are a Martha recipe that the kids, and Doug, love.

Even my friend baked her special cakey chocolate chip cookies. It was so awesome of her to help. Thank you, Georgine!

I made two crisps. One Peach-Local Blueberry and the other Peach-Local Raspberry. I am proud that they were among the first items to sell.

A new Banana Bread recipe from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook. (page 49) It's made with canola oil (a pre-rec for my banana bread choices) along with coconut and pecans. Two big loaves and two baby cakes. Yum!

I think besides all the baking I get to do, the best part of a bake sale is presentation. I am in a minority but nonetheless, I persevere. The packages were tied with colorful ribbons from the dollar bin at Michael's and Max and Ella made fun labels to describe the packages' contents.

Did I mention that our items were among the first to sell?

Brownie Cookies

12 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
6 T. unsalted butter @ room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
3 large eggs
1 t. pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until melted, then let cool.

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugars until lightened in color. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until combined. With mixer on low, alternately beat in chocolate and flour mixture; mix until just combined - do not over mix!

Drop 2 T. scoops about 2" apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until toothpick inserted the center of a cookie comes out clean, about 14-16 minutes.

Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

These freeze really well, so double the recipe and stockpile!

Makes 24 good bake sale-sized cookies.

No comments: