Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Pickin' Peas

Add ImageLast year the rabbits ate all my pea shoots before I got the new chicken wire up to keep them out. We were very disappointed since we all love them so much. This year I was determined the peas would be plentiful. This is a portion of our harvest!

Usually when snap peas are in the house we all eat them like popcorn and they are gone before I know it. While eating them out of hand is my favorite way to enjoy them, I always feel I've missed out by not DOING something with them. I, like many of my friends made the smitten kitchen sugar snap peas. They are delicious.

Last night I decided to make a few salads to go with dinner. The "classic" broccoli salad with a very generous gift from a friend but the peas had me stymied. I decided to go with a simple salad with herbs from the garden. This is what I came up with.

Blanched and shocked peas, a quick mayo dressing, fresh tarragon and a squeeze of lemon.

It was delicious and refreshing. A good way to DO something with my peas.

Chilled Snap Peas with Creamy Tarragon Dressing

1# sugar snap peas, trimmed
2 T. mayo
2 T. buttermilk
1 T. chopped fresh tarragon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.

Quickly blanch peas on boiling water and then shock in an ice bath. Drain well. It's helpful to lay them out on a paper towel lined sheet pant to get them as dry as possible. You want the dressing to "stick".

Whisk mayo, buttermilk, tarragon, salt and pepper. Pour over peas, toss to coat and chill.

No comments: