Friday, July 24, 2009

Strawberry Cordial

Back in June the kids and I went in search of "you-pick" strawberries. Unfortunately, we were a bit too late but were able to find some at a farm stand on the way home. I bought as many as I could with thoughts of jam. Time constraints forced me to freeze them for later jamming but I saved a few to experiment.

Strawberries, sugar, lemon verbena, water and vodka into the pickle bowl and left to macerate for about an hour. There are many similar recipes found online that call for lemon zest. I opted to use the verbena I have on the patio but f I were to do it again, I'd increase the verbena leaves significantly for a more pronounced lift of lemon.

I dumped it into a jar with a tight fitting lid and let it sit on the counter for about 3 weeks. Once the strawberries have released their color it's ready.

Strain it through a double layer of cheesecloth and transfer to a recycled bottle. Isn't it pretty? I've had it waiting in the fridge for a little nip for quite awhile and this afternoon, I took that nip. It's sweet (but not to sweet) and smooth with the absolut (ha-ha!) essence of a local summer strawberry. On a clear, hot summer afternoon on the rocks with some seltzer water and a twist of lemon would hit the spot. Now we just need that clear, hot sunny summer day.....

No comments: