Thursday, March 24, 2011

Miscellany and Martha


Usually with a fair amount of regularity I purge the house of unwanted miscellany. Clutter makes me crazy, probably unnaturally so. I spend a lot of time at the Goodwill drive thru and make regular trips to my local clothes closet to donate to those in need. More often than not the back of my truck is filled with stuff to take other places - donations to the library, clothes to take the kids' resale shop, etc. Unfortunately often times my truck is full when I need it and groceries go on the seats or I have to unload only to reload later. I digress...

About a week ago, I was going through things to recycle - catalogs, school mail and an Everyday Food from March of this year, that didn't have much of interest to me. I took one last run through before pitching it and I am so glad I did. Four words:

Pineapple-Ginger Infused Rum. That Martha.


I had a pineapple I bought the day before - one of those cheater ones that's nicely cored from the grocery store. It was on sale. I stuffed it into a jar.


In goes the dark rum and about 1" of peeled fresh ginger cut into slices and the whole thing gets put in the fridge.


And now we wait for 2 weeks but I think infused alcohol only gets better with time. The recipe suggested using the pineapple as a drink garnish. I am thinking pineapple upside down cake.

I know some day soon, it'll be a lovely, warm spring day and to pay homage to the summer to come Doug and I will enjoy a really wonderful pina colada.

Try this yourself. The waiting is the hardest part.

No comments: