Monday, March 28, 2011

Pantry Basics

I want you to know how important it is to have a well stocked pantry. If your pantry is well stocked you can usually always throw something together for dinner. The key is keeping the right stuff on hand.

I have limited storage for shelf stable items but I find I don't need a ton of stuff. Let's start with the basic basics. Canned tomatoes, canned beans, olive oil, vinegars and basic condiments like ketchup, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Canned tomatoes, often a better choice in the off season, make a simple sauce for pasta, pizza or chicken. Hard to believe but ketchup is the start of a simple meal like a bean pot or sloppy joes.

A can of black beans are a nice addition to grilled nachos and hummus is a snap with a can of chickpeas on hand.


All meals, especially the simple ones require layers of flavor. Stock is a staple and the purchased is a must-have in the pantry. I'm ready for a pan sauce and can throw together a quick soup with leftover chicken and rice when I have a nice supply in the cabinet. I also try to keep some William-Sonoma demi glace paste around. It makes a stellar stock and dresses up purchased or homemade stock beautifully.


So, with a nice grocery list, a solidly stocked cabinet full of basics and a bit of practice, dinner is a snap.

I just wanted you to know.

xoxo,
Mommy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We keep dried pasta, brown rice, white rice and couscous on hand. With just a few additives they become the staples of our meals. Great post!