Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sloppy Joes! Sloppy, Sloppy Joes!

I have a secret. I love sloppy joes. When I was pregnant with Jake we ate them - a lot. Doug got a bit sick of them. I don't buy Manwich anymore. Now I make them homemade.


There is really nothing to making them and to say homemade seem a bit grandiose. Simple things, ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, a bit of Worcestershire sauce, all basic pantry items, can make for an great sandwich.


Ground beef browned with chopped onion.


Add the sauce, stir and let them simmer. They're even better if you make them the day before so the flavors can meld overnight.


They are a great, fast meal and perfect when the family is going opposite directions. The best thing about making these myself is I know what's in them. I know the ketchup adds a bit of corn syrup (as does the Worcestershire!) but I do know for sure there is no xanthan gum in them. They are also without guar gum, tomato fiber (?) and carob bean gum.

We don't even miss it them!


Sloppy Joes

2# ground round beef
3 onions, chopped
1) 14oz. bottle of kechup
3 T. brown sugar
dash of salt
1 t. freshly ground black pepper
3 T. worcestershire sauce
6 T. cider vinegar

Brown ground round with onions and drain fat from the pan.

Mix all other ingredients together and stir well.

Pour sauce over meat and onion mixture.

Simmer at least 30-40 minutes.

No comments: