Thursday, November 3, 2011

Yellow Tomato and Basil Jam/I Love Food In Jars

One night I stayed up late working on a blog I was really excited about. A few key strokes....and it was gone. In the blogshere, never to be seen again. Or so I thought. While tweeking a few things I recently happened to notice a blog written in 2001. In 2001, I had three very busy children 5 and under. To say the house was a "fixer-uper" is generous. If I had a computer I don't know where it was. I had struck gold (or yellow) and found my missing story.

Though no longer seasonal, this humble homage to one of my favorite bloggers needs to be published. If you aren't a food preserver hopefully you'll be inspired. My advice? Remember there truly is no season for canning.

*****

Marisa, the writer of the fabulous blog, Food In Jars reads my mind. Something exploding in the garden? Went a bit nut-so at the fruit stand? No time to search for the the answer to "what should I do?"  Food In Jars saves the day.


Several weeks back the yellow tomatoes were taking over the yellow house. The red ones I could manage but the yellow I am certain were reproducing on the kitchen counter in the night. I love a good yellow tomato but honestly, I prefer a more acidic bite. So while I diligently ate a tomato sandwich every day they were getting the best of me.


Marisa had my answer. Cut, add sugar and macerate for 24 hours in the fridge. I love food projects with easy steps that allow you time to fully commit.


A bit of cooking and brightening with lemon zest.


I can't get better. No, wait - it does. Boat loads of basil growing on plants pressed between monstrous caged tomatoes? The crowning glory.

I told you she was good.

I know it is late but if you get your hands on a bunch of yellows and are sick of fighting the basil you really need to try this it's delicious. It's applications are endless. Or maybe just remember next year when there are illicit things happening on your kitchen.

Did I mention it's Food In Jars?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is quite the perfect post as my once tame yellow pear tomato plant is now nine feet wide and still producing. AND, I have an abundance of basil and couldn't possibly use more pesto!

Jennifer said...

So I wasn't as late as I thought then, huh? I meant to do that - and this recipe is fabulous! ;)

Marisa said...

I'm so happy to hear that you liked this recipe! I'm totally in love with the finished jam myself.