Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Honey of a Cookie

I spend a lot of time baking cookies for my kids' lunch boxes. I ask for requests and it goes something like this:

Me: "What kind of cookies do you want in your lunch boxes this week?"

Ella: "Chocolate chips, extra chips"
Henry: "Chocolate chip, lots of chips."
Doug: "Chocolate chip, few chips"
Max "Chocolate chip"
Jake: "Chocolate chip, no chips"

Last week, getting a little crazy in a stay-at-home-mom way, I went against the grain and resurrected one of my favorites. Honey-Oatmeal.

Honey is as near and dear to my heart as are the dear bees producing it. I have always wanted to be a beekeeper and long story short, after one good year, my inexperienced eye sent my bees to a new neighborhood in search of  more living space. I am not yet ready to throw in my veil but until it's time to harvest yellow house honey, I'll buy from the locals.



It's good for our environment, our food system and our personal health. Honey is a great source of antioxidants and a beneficial antiseptic. Think of local honey is an allergy shot increasing your body's ability to fight allergens most prevalent in your neck of the woods. Preventative medicine in a cookie. I always knew it was possible.

By the way, this cheap kitchen gadget is the only way to measure sticky ingredients. Get one.



The recipe is easy and offers stellar results. It can be made without thinking or while talking on the phone, adding to the every growing/never diminishing to-do list or listening to what seems like the 100th time Lance Armstrong visits Elwood City.


If I were a better food blogger, I'd have step-by-step photos illustrating a properly softened stick of sweet cream butter.  Documentation of the technique to utilize for exquisitely creaming said butter and notations on the virtues of weighing flour.

I am not though.

I am just a mom making lots and lots of cookies.

Honey-Oat Cookies
1 1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter
2/3 c. honey, preferably local
2 eggs, lightly beaten
4 c. rolled oats
2 c. all-purpose flour
1. baking soda
1/2 t. salt

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Whisk dry ingredients together.

In the bowl of stand mixer beat butter, sugar and honey together until fluffy. Add eggs and beat well.

Stir in dry ingredients til combined.

Scoop balls of dough about 2 T. in size onto a cookie sheet about 3" apart.

Bake 9-11 minutes. (watch Francine ride her bike)

Cool on sheet pan several minutes before moving to a rack to cool completely.

No comments: