Since our focus this month is on the environment, I wanted the ornament to work into that theme in tandem with the broad scouting theme. Back to the felted sweater collection for up-cycyled and weather-tolerant ideas.
With the help of a few online templates I came up with what the kids and I decided (hoped) looked like a wolf. Max's idea of the neckerchief completed the look.
My pale yellow thrift store score worked as a neckerchief. I wish it was gold. Can you say com-pul-sive?
A brownish-gray sweater lent itself to wolf fur. The charcoal gray be came noses.
I was lucky I only had to make eight though the cutting took far less time than I had anticipated - even with crappy scissors. I hid my beautiful sewing scissors so the kids didn't confiscate them for ridiculous things. Now I can't remember where I put them.
Parts in order. The original button eyes concept became big black sequins - glinting wolf eyes. Again, the fabulous Max suggested a golden sequin to act as a neckerchief slide. Pre-threaded embroidery floss allowed the boys to string a hanger on easily.
Tiny patient fingers used weather-proof glue to apply the eyes, nose and slide. I found the neckerchief required a quick whip stitch across the back to secure it. Not even a big deal for the sewing challenged leader.
The final product.
I am pleased with the final result and I love how all aspects of the achievement at hand were tied together (though I am mostly likely the only one present to have noticed). I love a good connection.
Onward to the next project. Wad of shrunken sweaters under my arm.
Martha's staff has nothing on me.